Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Friday 20 July 2012

Slanghoek Winery


This was a nice winery. The tasting room is a good size, there were plenty of staff there to assist and there is a nice selection of wine to try.


They had a lovely blue cheese and biltong soup for the Soets and soup breedekloof festival. This festival was only R30 for a tasting glass, soup mug, soup and wine tastings at the participating wineries.


We were able to try all the wine on the list. There are 22 wines on the list!! My favourites were the Vinay Crispy White (R26), the Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 (R39), the Noble Late Harvest 2007 (R95) and the Cape Ruby 2011 (R42).

We had a nice experince here. The wine was lovely and the staff were friendly. This was worth a visit I thought. 

Online I see they offer picnics at their winery:


Slanghoek Cellar, in conjunction with Jason’s Hill, now offer guests picnic baskets by request. Enjoy a delicious picnic basket for two, which includes a selection of fresh ciabatta bread, cheeses and cold meats as well as a complimentary bottle of *Slanghoek wine, while you relax on our patio and enjoy the tranquility of the valley. Please be certain to book your picnic basket in advance to ensure availability: 023 344 3026 or info@slanghoek.co.za for more information.

*Applicable to certain wines only/ wine can be substituted with grape juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment