Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 30 June 2012

Saronsberg

Saronsberg was a very nice winery. I loved the setting, I liked the ambiance and the wine was lovely.


Inside one could do a wine tasting upstairs and buy food downstairs. The food was very nice here and very reaosnably priced!


The service was good and it was nice to have an informative tasting even though the place was busy. We started with the Brut MCC 2009 R135. The Saronsberg Provenance Sauvignon Blanc 2012 R65 had a beautiful fruity sweet smell and taste. It was very nicely balanced. I liked the Viognier 2011 R90. It was beautiful on the palate, slightly sweet and had lovely flavours. The Nick & Forti's Viognier 2009 R65 was also nice, but less fruity than the other Viognier. Nice body, lovely on the palate. The Full Circle 2009 R220 was very smooth and elegant wine. I liked this one also.


Outside they had a live band, which created a very nice ambiance. I would actually suggest one makes this the main stop for this festival. They have everything well organised.


While sitting outside you can enjoy this lovely view. It really is a spectacular winery with lovely wine!!


If you do a day trip in Tulbagh be sure to add this one to your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment