Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 31 March 2012

Hazendal

Today my boyfriend and I went to Joostenberg for a picnic lunch with friends. After that, we decided to visit Hazendal for a wine tasting.



The service at this winery was very good. The male serving us was very informative, polite and friendly.

The De Haas Range is their lifestyle range. They have the De Haas White, Red and Rose. All three were very nice, easy drinking wines. The red was light and had a lovely fruity flavour and the Rose I felt was perfect for a braai wine. Then again, I am always a fan of roses at a braai :-)



I would have to say my favourite white wine we tried was the Hazendal Chenin Blanc wood matured 2007 at R45 a bottle. I thought it was rounded and very nice to drink. The Hazendal SB 2010 (R47) was nicely balanced and had a subtle tropical fruity flavour. We also tried three red wines: the Merlot 2007 (R60), Reserve Red 2008 (R50) and the Shiraz 2008 (R64). All three of these red wines were lovely!


I would put this winery on your list if you are out this way. The wine was nice, the service was good and the experience was a complete thumbs up.


Wine tastings cost R10 for a tasting of 5 wines here.

Oh, and they were setting up for a wedding at the time we were there, they charge around R7500 for hiring the venue for a wedding reception and R1500 if you have your ceremony outside on the premises.



1 comment:

  1. Tonight I opened a bottle of the Merlot, and it was very nice. It is smooth and has lovely black berry and black current flavours. I would buy this wine again.

    ReplyDelete