Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 25 March 2012

Grande Provence

We visited this winery to meet friends for lunch. While waiting for our friends to arrive, we did a wine tasting. The wine tasting room was quite full when we got there, and only one person was serving, but she did a good job. There was a great vibe in this tasting room.

 
It costs R30 to taste 4 wines and R50 to taste 6 wines. You are served bread and olive tapenade when you sit down for a tasting. I thought this was a nice touch.


We tried the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 at R99 a bottle. This was delicious, it has lovely tropical fruity flavours, with very fresh lime flavours coming through on the palate, which lingered nicely afterwards. The Chardonnay 2010 at R170 a bottle had a nice buttery texture, was balanced, had a nice smell and had pear tones. I also thought this wine was nice. The Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 was R140 a bottle. It had slight spicy tones, good body (medium body) and nice flavour. I also liked this wine. The Shiraz 2008 at R140 a bottle had cherry, dark chocolate and berry tastes. The Pinot Noir 2010 at R190 a bottle had a very berry taste to it, was medium bodied, which I found a lot heavier compared to most Pinot Noirs. Last of all we tried the Grande Provence 2007 at R350 a bottle. It was full bodied, had great flavour, with hints of licorice, deep plum/berry flavours. I loved it!!!

I would definitely recommend doing a wine tasting here. It was a great experience.

We had lunch at this winery after the tasting. It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside and enjoyed a three course meal. This restaurant only does a three course menu. They do not have a A La Carte menu.


It is quite pricy to eat here. Its R320 for the three course, which includes extras in between meals. You can view their menu on http://www.grandeprovence.co.za/fine-dining-franschhoek/menu.html.

This is what you get to eat to start with, it is one of the extras you get with your three course meal (it was very yummy):


This was my entree. It was a pork salad if I remember correctly:



We were given a sorbet before having our main meal. This was my main, it was delicious:



After our main we were given a small dessert, which was a lovely yet small piece of chocolate brownie. Then for dessert I had the Banana Parfait: banana, roasted macadamia nut salsa, rocky road ice cream … patron anglaise (this was very nice):

I just had a look on the website for the description for my entree and main. But I cannot recognise them on the current menu online. I am guessing they change their menu frequently? As you can see from the photos above and on their website, the chef makes fine dining cuisine.



On a nice sunny day, with good company, a nice bottle of wine and this great food, it makes for a pretty memorable occassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment