Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 17 November 2011

Kaapzicht

After visiting Groenland, I decided to visit Kaapzicht also. They are right beside each other so it was very convenient.

On ariving at the tasting room, I thought it was a "dag" (as we say in NZ) to be greeted by a sign on the door saying please press the door once (once being stressed) and wait for assistance. It took a while before someone came to open the tasting room door, but I dared not press the bell again, hehe. The lady who served me said they misplaced the key which is why they took longer than normal to get to the tasting room. But the signs and waiting for someone to come I thought actually added to the charm and cuteness of this place.



The lady who served me was very friendly though didn't seem to know too much about the wine. She had come from the office, so perhaps she doesn't normally do the tastings...

I tried all the white wines and sadly didn't find anything I particulary liked, which was a shame considering they currently have a massive sale on their wine!! Only R20 for their SB 2009 (unlabelled), Chenin Blanc 2009, and Natural Sweet Wine 2007. The Sauv/chenin Blanc 2008 (unlabelled) is selling for only R15 and the so is the Shiraz Rose 2008 (unlabelled). The Cab Sauv 2005 is selling for R35 and the Bin 3 (merlot/cab sav/pin) 2007 is selling for R49.

 I did however love the Merlot 2008 (R90). This was so smooth, moist and delicate. I really liked this wine, so I walked out with a bottle. The Hanepoot Jerepigo 2008 (R60) had great flavour, was sweet but not syrupy and was a nice dessert wine.

The overall tasting experience was nice here. If you are a big group, I am sure there will be a wine for everyone's liking, as there are 18 wines on the tasting list!!

I think if I am correct they charge R10 for a tasting, but if you by a bottle of wine the fee is waived.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me when I visited this wine, so have had to use photos from their website. Be sure to check out their website on http://www.kaapzicht.co.za.


No comments:

Post a Comment