Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 15 March 2014

Saxenburg

I have driven past this winery so many times on my way to and from work and today I had a bit of time so dropped in to taste the wine.

(All the photos used on this page are from the website as I cannot find my photos that I took).


I was the only one there at the time of visiting which was nice as I got a very informative tasting from the guy that was working that day.


I tasted the Shiraz 2009 at R150 a bottle which was soft, smooth and a little spicy. I liked this wine.

The Shiraz 2003 at R250 a bottle was soft, medium bodied, was nicely aged, round mouth feeling, little spicy. I personally felt it was past its prime drinking time however.


Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 at R190 a bottle had a nice tobacco nose, was soft and smooth on the palate, a little spicy and had a lingering finish. It was quite a serious wine so I suggest drinking this with food or aging longer.

Merlot 2009 at R140 a bottle had a lovely nose, was smooth, had an elegant body, with rich berry flavours and fine tannins. I thought this was a good wine until I got to the finish. I didn't like the finish as it was a little dry and I didn't agree with the mocha flavours that came through on the finish.

Pinotage 2009 at R120 a bottle was soft, light, medium body, a bit green, savoury, and marmite tones. I didn't like this.

Methode Cap Classique at R180 a bottle had nice biscuit/yeasty characters, was creamy, nice, had hints of honey and nuts on the palate, with a tropical fruity and dry finish.

Chardonnay 2012 at R100 a bottle had light oak on the nose, a lovely oak, nut and fruity flavour, was soft. I thought this wine was lovely.


Out of all these wines I bought a bottle of the Shiraz 2009 and Chardonnay 2012.

To be honest, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this winery. If you are driving past and have some time to spare then why not. Even though the service was very good, and the wine tasting experience was fine, the overall experience didn't impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment