Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Friday 15 March 2013

Diemersdal Wine Estate and Restaurant

In the past two years that I have been living in SA I have become a big fan of Diemersdal Wine Estate. I have always liked the wine and the service at the tasting room!! Piere-Benn is the tasting room manager, he is very friendly and welcoming and will always be happy to give you an informative tasting on the wines.

Diemersdal Estate now has a restaurant which we checked out a week ago with friends and it is just what I would expect from this estate.



The service was good, everyone was very friendly, and the ambience was lovely. We chose to go on a Friday night so we could enjoy the tapas menu. They do offer steak and chips on a Friday as an alternative which one of our friends went for and thoroughly enjoyed. It is R120 and you get a three course meal starting with salad, then the steak and chips, finishing with a dessert. It is very good value for money!!


The tapas were lovely and the portions were ideal!! The price is very reasonable at only R100 per person.

The menu on the night we went was:
Smoked Hake Fritters
Braised Brisket
Onion Risotto
Warm Duck and Beetroot Salad
Pea Veloute
Cheese & Olive Tapenade
Caramelised Apple Pana Cotta

You can ask for double portions if you can't or don't want some of the dishes. My friend is allergic to seafood and they had no problem at all to then give her double portions of the dishes without seafood in them. If you want more on your platter you can pay R20 extra per tapa.

I have to admit my favourite tapa was the Pea Veloute, which I would not have expected. When I saw it on the menu I thought it didn't sound so great. But it was truly devine!!!


Amongst the group we all agreed that the onion risotto and the olive tapenade which had anchovies in it were not the favourites as the flavours were a little too strong, but all the rest were lovely. Apparently they change the menu each week, so it will be nice to go back and try other tapas they make.


I love the fact that they sell the Diemersdal wine at cellar door price at the restaurant!! We enjoyed two bottles of the 2013 Sauvignon Blanc (R52 a bottle) which by the way is delicious!!! I thought the 2013 would be a bit too young to enjoy, especially as I love the older Sauvignon Blancs, but it was awesome!!! And so reasonably priced too!!! We finished the evening off with a bottle of the Grenache 2011 (R95 a bottle), another favourite of ours and our friends all enjoyed it!! It is such a pleasant, easy drinking, light, fruity, red wine. Very nice served chilled!!

This restaurant has a lovely vibe, it is comfortable, warm, and relaxing. I highly recommend you book a table for lunch or dinner at this restauarnt as they are often fully booked. Please note it isn't open every day and they offer different food/menus each day. I heard on Sundays that they have a set menu where they serve the food in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves. I can't wait to go back for this!!!!

On a lovely day you can sit outside, but if the weather is not great don't let this put you off visiting this very warm and friendly restaurant as the experience inside is just as nice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment