Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Monday 14 January 2013

Knorhoek Winery

On my way back from Stellenbosch I had time to visit one more winery for the day. I decided to stop off at Knorhoek Winery. There is a nice outdoor and indoor area to enjoy your tasting. The view from the patio was beautiful with the mountains in the back ground.

A tasting costs R20 here.

I only had time to try three wines, so I chose the Sauvignon Blanc 2012 at R48 a bottle. It was very smooth and had a gorgeous fruity/tropical aroma, it was a little tart, had a slight banana and pineapple taste, I wasn't keen on the aftertaste. It is a nice wine however and is very soft for a Sauvignon Blanc! It has a lot of fruity flavours coming through and it lingers for a long time afterwards.

Next I tried the Chenin Blanc 2010 which was very yellow in colour, had a fruity aroma, yet was dry on the palate. It was interesting!! Almost a little complex. The colour, smell and taste confused me. From the colour you expect something more oaked, from the smell you expected something sweeter and then it is dry on the palate. So yeah, I found it complex :-p

Last but not least, I tried the Pantere 2007 which is a Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon. It had a rich smell of licorice/cigar box/spicy/dark berries/dried fruit. It was dark crimson in colour. A soft/rounded wine. Had medium-heavy body. A lot of flavour!! It had a lingering finish. It is a good food wine. I think it may be one to cellar or decanter? It was an interesting/complex wine!!

The service was ok here. I felt the attitude of the chick serving was not ideal. It was like she was a bit over the place or the job. Perhaps it was because it was the end of the day? But she was kind enough to do a tasting with me considering I was there 30 min before closing. She made the comment that I had missed the deadline for a full tasting and that she could serve me three wines to try. I therefore got the impression that you need to get there at least an hour before closing to enjoy a full tasting.

The closing time of a winery always puzzles me. Should a winery put it's closing time as 4pm if they want to close at 5pm? Or should people respect that if a winery closes at 5pm then it means you must come at 4pm to do a tasting before they close? Or if a winery states that it closes at 5pm, do you think you can rock up anytime before 5pm and expect a full tasting? I shall have to facebook this to see what others think...

Overall, it's a nice winery. I will go back to try more wine and allow more time for a tasting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment