Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Friday 24 February 2012

Stellenbosch Hills

After visiting Vredenheim, we quickly went down the road to Stellenbosch Hills to buy some wine. I had tried their wine at the Good Food and Wine Show last year. I loved their wine and especially loved their prices!!!
We decided to do a tasting while at this winery, as we hadn't been here before.

The building is nice on the inside, there is a big tasting room for big groups and there is a smaller tasting room for smaller groups. The place is clean, modern and nicely designed. The service was very good here, we were well looked after.

Stellenbosch Hills Winery has three labels. They have the Polkadraai Range, the Stellenbosch Hills Cultivar Collection and the 1707 Reserve Range.


What I love about the wine at Stellenbosch Hills is that the wine tastes good and they are very reasonably priced!! For example their Polkadraai Chenin Blanc/Sauvignon blanc 2011 is only R26 a bottle. Their Stellenbosch Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2011 is only R36 a bottle. Even their reserve range is reasonably priced at R82 for a 1707 Red Reserve 2007 which they have limited stock of.

I recommend coming here and I recommend stocking up on their wine!!

Cellar Door Hours (tasting & wine sales)

Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm;
Saturday 10am – 3pm;
Sunday Closed

I see online that they do a biltong and wine pairing: Taste six of the Stellenbosch Hills wines, perfectly paired with a biltong and droëwors selection. The tasting takes between 30 minutes and an hour, depending on the participation level, and size of the group. Bookings can be made by e-mailing or phone
+27 (0)21 881 3828.
The cost is R40.00 per person. Booking is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment