Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 16 October 2011

Glen Carlou

My friend and I finished at Glen Carlou for lunch after visiting Warwick and Le Bonheur. I just love the building at this winery and the view!!


We booked a table outside, so that we could soak up the view while enjoying our lunch.


Seeing as it had been quite a while back that I last did a tasting at Glen Carlou (and it was one of the first wineries in the Western Cape I visited) I decided to do a wine tasting again. My friend had never been here before, so she also did a tasting. I was so glad I did the tasting, because my opinion on Glen Carlou's wine is now very different.

It costs R25 to try five wines from the classic range. They charge R35 for the prestige/classic range tasting. For this tasting you get to try the three prestige wines and 2 of the classic range wines. They also have an international wine tasting which costs R50 and includes trying a wine from Australia (Peter Lehman wine), Argentina and California. You also get to try two wines from the classic range. For all tastings the fee is not waived if you buy a bottle or two of wine. However, there is a 10% discount on purchases of 6 bottles or more.

I loved the fact we were able to do the tasting at the table while waiting for our food. I tried the Quartz Stone Chardonnay 2009 (R275), this had strong flavours, was creamy and smooth. "The Welder" Natural Sweet 2009 (R89) was fantastic!! It was beautiful, sweet, smooth and stunning! I liked the Chardonnay 2010 from the classic range (R90), this was very nice. The Syrah 2007 (R120) also from the classic range, was smooth, a little spicy (like tobacco) and easy drinking. From the limited edition I tried the Methode Cap Classique (MCC - this is sparkling wine but it is made using the same method as Champagne) Brut Reserve 2006 (R178). This is made with Chardonnay/Pinot Noir grapes, it is dry but still pleasant. The unwooded Chardonnay 2011 (R78) was nice, easy drinking, fruity and balanced. Last of all I tried the Tortoise Hill White 2011 (R42) from the contemporary range. This is a blend of Viognier, Verdelho and Semillon. It was an easy drinking wine.


We ordered a bottle of the Sauvigon Blanc to have with lunch, and it was just lovely. It went very nicely with our food and was a very pleasant wine to drink. Even after visiting three wineries this wine went down so easily and was full of flavour.

I ordered two entrees and a dessert for lunch. I had the Asian glazed roasted Duck, Granny Smith apple and hoisin dressing for R65 and the “Waldorf” Salad with red wine poached pears, fresh apple, celery agar agar, toasted walnuts and a blue cheese dressing. Both these were very nice!!!

The menu appeared to be different from when I last visited, but it was still a nice menu and suitable for the season. My friend ordered this chocolate fondant, fried banana and caramel ice cream dessert, and it was delicious!!! Definitely order this when you dine at Glen Carlou!!


You can view the menu on http://www.glencarlou.co.za/restaurant_menu.html.
I highly recommend one visits this winery if out this way, and make this your stop for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment