Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 6 September 2011

Hamilton Russell - take 2


The weather was beautiful on the day we visited this winery, and it made the grounds even more beautiful than the last time we visited. On arrival, we were the only guests there, the lady serving us was very welcoming and informative. She knows the winery and the wine very well. She can tell you a lot about the farm and surrounding farms. Ask her about the scenic drive back to Hermanus, we ran out of time to go that way, but I imagine it is worth the drive!



We sat outside for the tasting, where we could soak up the views, the sun, and enjoy the wine. This winery makes two wines, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. We tried the Chardonnay first, which was smooth, buttery, rounded, slightly wooded, yet it had a slight acidity to it and has nice body. Next we tried the Pinot Noir. This was light, wooded, slightly dry, but nicely balanced and pleasant to drink. Both the Chardonnay and Pinot Noir were among only 17 wines out of more than 5000, awarded 5 stars in the 2005 John Platter Guide.



The wine is quite pricey here, the Chardonnay and Pinot Noir sell for R285 a bottle. I think whether you are an experienced wine drinker or even someone who doesn't appreciate wine this expensive, this winery is worth the visit!!!



This place is absolutely gorgeous. The group of friends I was with, all would have loved to have had a blanket, picnic and enjoyed a bottle of wine at this winery. We spent a lot of time here enjoying the wines and the view. I later found out that guests are welcome to bring their own picnic to this winery. If you are out this way, I recommend you visit this winery!! Be sure to pack yourself a nice picnic basket as well though :-) !!!






No comments:

Post a Comment