Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Wednesday 29 June 2011

Shiraz Blind Wine Tasting Event - 21st of July

Last month's Sauvignon Blanc blind wine tasting event was very successful. I got great feedback from the guests, saying they had a lot of fun trying to guess which wine region each wine was from, some loved the quiz, the prizes, the interactive and informal tasting and many are looking  forward to the next one.


The next wine tasting event is on the 21st of July at the Grand Daddy Hotel. This month we will be tasting ten Shiraz's from ten different wineries.

Rooiburg is kindly sponsoring Woollies Organic Brut for you to drink on arrival.There will also be a light meal on arrival so if you come straight from work, you wont go hungry. Laborie is kindly sponsoring Pineau (Port style wine) for us to try at the end of the evening, which will be a nice way to finish off the evening!!

The event starts at 6.30pm and finishes at 9pm, so don't worry, you wont be too tired to go to work the next day :-)As this is a tasting, you will also not have to worry about having a hangover the next day.

This is a fun, interactive, and informal way to try wines. You will not know where the wine comes from until you have tried all ten. At the end of the evening I will inform you as to where the wine is from, how much it is and I will show you photos of the winery and share my experience of a wine tasting at the winery. This event is not just about the wines, but also the wine tasting experience at the winery.

Be sure to come along and check this fun event out.

Please make payments in to the following bank account with your name as the reference by the 15th of July:
Capitec Bank
Christine Andrews
Branch: 470010
Account: 1256395720

The person who pays first and the person who pays tenth will be given a prize on the evening. Note only 50 people can attend this evening, so be sure to get in quick.After making payment please send me an email with proof of payment and I shall reply to confirm your seat on the night.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment