Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Monday 1 August 2011

Vrede en Lust - Simondium

This is a very nice winery. It has a very modest front to it and a unique one. The red posters on the front beams of the entrance reminded me of the gate ways you see as you approach a temple in China.
It all changes as soon as you walk through the entrance, you see a completely different side to the place.
The view from the entrance way is stunning and you realise you have walked in to a hidden gem. I wish it had been warmer that day and that we could have done the tasting on the seats outside with these amazing views!!! That would have been magical!!

Time was limited so we didn't get to explore the grounds, but we thoroughly enjoyed what we did see.

The service was fantastic, we were served by a lady called Elzanne, she really knew the wines and had great passion for them. The ambiance at this winery was very nice!!

The wines were great!!! I liked the Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (R69) it has great flavour, smell and taste. It is actually similar in taste to NZ Sauvignon Blanc's. I also liked the Pinot Grigio (R80) which was smooth, peachy and nice. Loved the apple flavour it had. The Casey's Ridge Viognier 2010 (R130) was silky, smooth, peachy and nice. Out of all of them, I loved the Viognier 2010 (R130), it has great flavour and is nice and smooth.

I wasn't a fan of the reds. But thought the whites were fabulous!!

Be sure to visit this winery. I am sure you will like it as much as I did :-) There are so many wineries in this area, that you can have a great day at the wineries out here!!! If you have just one day to spend visiting wineries in the western cape, this area is a great choice!!

1 comment:

  1. Opened the bottle of Viognier 2010 last night and it was absolutely fabulous!! Shared it with three others and they loved it!! Can't wait to go back and buy more of this wine. It is truly decadent!! It has flavours of apricot yet the texture of peaches. It is truly fabulous. I highly recommend you try this wine.

    ReplyDelete