Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 21 April 2011

Du Toitskloof - Breedekloof

On the day we went to this winery, there was an event being held called Cloudy Nouveau. The place was quite busy, yet the staff did a great job to make sure we felt welcome and could try the wines.

Unfortunately we didn't get much information on the wine, it was just poured, but that was to be expected because of how busy it was. I took this photo when there was no one in the room.
We got to meet one of the wine growers, as we had some questions about the tank system they have. He was kind enough to also give us a run down on the wines and make suggestions as to which ones we should try.
There is a huge selection of wines here, and the pour is very generous. We tried most of the wines. Favourites were the 2008 Cape Ruby Port, the 2007 Noble Late Harvest and the 2010 SB Reserve.

Was interesting to try the two Hanepoots. One was a 1999 Hanepoot and the other was a 2010 Hanepoot. Both were nice, but I definitely preferred the 2010. You can see the difference in the colour between the older and younger Hanepoot in the following photo:
We bought a few wines from this winery, the 2008 Cape Ruby Port, the 2007 Noble Late Harvest and a 3L cask of SB (on special that day for only R55). I look forward to drinking these bottles of wine. I will write comments after opening each bottle. Be sure to stay in tune :-)

1 comment:

  1. We have been drinking the cask wine for the past week and I am really enjoying it. Its a very easy to drink, great priced, quaffing wine. I would definitely recommend this cask wine if you are looking for a SB cask wine.

    ReplyDelete