Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 31 March 2011

Nitida - Durbanville

This is a nice winery. My friend and I went to the restaurant Cassia for lunch on a monday.

The setting is very nice and relaxing. While sitting outside you look over a big pond. The service was fantastic. We tried two different white wines, the sauvignon blanc and semillon. We enjoyed both wines, however, both preferred the semillon over the sauvignon blanc and found it went very nicely with our meal.

The food was very nice and presentation of the food was also good. My friend had the pork belly and I had the chicken leg. Both were absolutely delicious. I would definitely go back to this restaurant for a lunch again.

Since having the lunch, I have been back for a wine tasting, which was an even greater experience. We were lucky to be served by a very passionate and highly informed Nitida staff member.

Again we tried all the wines on the list. I thoroughly enjoyed the wines here. They were all very tasty and very easy to drink. This is the entrance to the wine tasting room:

To the right of the tasting room there are barrels of wine on display which are in use:

Then to the left of the tasting room is the tasting bar:

 The Sauvignon Blanc 2010 is very easy to drink, the lime, tropical grassy flavours are fab!!! For R75 this wine is a steal.
The Semillon has a crisp, fresh, smooth, great taste, with spicy, grassy smells. This is also sold for R75.
Chardonnay's are not my favourite white wine at all. Yet Nitida's Chardonnay (R75) was great!! It is sweet, smooth, and tastes great. You should definitely try this wine, even if you aren't a chardonnay fan.
The Natida Calligraphy was also great!!! It is a blend of merlot, cab franc, cab sauv and semillon. It is slightly dry but I still love it!! It sells for R115 and is worth every rand :-)
Cab sauv was also delicious, it was easy to drink and smooth.
The 2010 pinotage has a completely smooth, light, silky, easy to drink and great taste. Be sure to ask for the 2010 bottle, and not the 2008 ;-)
The Nitida Club Select was also great with its grassy and mineral smells, it is light, crisp, and had a great taste.


Overall, I loved the wines here at Nitida and would love to see their wines more available in restaurants. Be sure to visit this winery for the wine tasting and food. This winery has a smaller production level of wines compared to some of the neighbouring wineries and therefore provides a more personal touch to its wines and winery, it has fabulous wines and great food at the restaurants. Check this winery out if you are on this wine route and look out for Nitida wines at local restaurants!!! You can pretty much make no mistake in ordering a bottle of Nitida wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment