Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 29 March 2011

Anura winery - Simondium/Paarl



Anura is a very nice place to spend a couple of hours tasting wine and cheese, and having a meal at the restaurant.


Wine and cheese tasting:
I enjoyed the fact I could sit outside looking at the pond, with the vineyard in sight, while wine was brought to the table and a platter of cheese was offered to try. The price to try the cheese and wine was very reasonable, and I highly recommend one does both. The cheese was delicious!!! We got to try about 8 different cheeses, and about 5 different wines. The service was very good, and attitude of the workers was great.Cheese is also on sale; we bought camembert on special for R8 and Brie for R10, while these are normally priced around R14, which is still a great price. I wasn't particularly fussed about the wine, and therefore didn't buy any. However, it was still nice to drink the wine while eating the cheese.





Restaurant:
After trying the cheese and wine, we had a meal at the restaurant. The food was fantastic. The chef is only 21 years old and loves experimenting with flavours and new ingredients. I had a lovely trio meal including duck in each section. Price of a main is around R100.The service was fantastic at this restaurant!!

Atmosphere:
The atmosphere and surroundings at Anura winery and restaurant is very nice and relaxing. There is a grass area with tables, chairs, sofas and space for kids to run around. The outdoor seating is under cover, however on a rainy day you would want to sit inside, as the cover outside is made of branches and therefore has gaps.

I would recommend those who are looking for a place to enjoy a lazy Saturday or Sunday afternoon, to go to Anura. Those with a time contraint, be sure to atleast try the cheese at Anura.

No comments:

Post a Comment